Sunday 23 February 2014

FAMOUS ARTIST BIRTHDAY, WINSLOW HOMER - MINI MASTER SERIES - LITTLE BOY BIG DREAMS by Sea Dean


LITTLE BOY - BIG DREAMS
PAINTING BY SEA DEAN AFTER WINSLOW HOMER
4" x 4" Mini Master on Canvas Panel
Homage to Famous Artists on their birthday

To view my Gallery or purchase this painting please visit Daily Paintworks. Larger originals or prints may be available by contacting me.

I studied Art History in England, so I'm my knowledge of artists outside Europe is limited. Of course I had heard the name and seen some of the seascapes, but until you make the effort to study an artist in paint, you don't seem to put the two together.

I love the light in this little excerpt from one of Winslow's water colours. It is created with light naples yellow and warm blue, with quite deep shadows in the foreground, thrown by the backlight of the sun. This little boy was so whimsical and I'm curious what his companions are doing. To me it looks like they may be painting plein air, which would be very challenging in a boat. 

This may be a little over the top, but this wan't painted in my studio, I had no lamp and it was  getting dark. I had my paintbrush in one hand and a Sylvania Dot iT in the other and painted till I was done. Then I wanted to blog a photo of my crazy idea. Trouble is that I needed another hand because I also had to hold the camera. You get the idea. :)



WINSLOW HOMER

Winslow Homer was born February 24, 1836 Boston, Massachusetts. He came from a long line of New Englanders. It is not surprising therefore that he is best known for his nautical subjects. He started out as an illustrator and moved to landscape and seascape painting mainly in water-colour. He was also a printmaker. In 1859 he opened a gallery in New York City but it wasn't a wild success.

Winslow produced a lot of work for Harper's Weekly and was hired for some major work illustrating the civil war. After the war his work became far more nostalgic, focusing on women and children. He was not very successful during his lifetime, and many of his paintings took years to sell. During the rough times he was supported by his mother and brother Charles.

He died September 29, 1910

2 comments:

I love to hear your views and connect on a personal level so feel free to say hi.

All work by Sea Dean protected by International Copyright - No printing, copying, electronic transfer or any form of duplication allowed without written permission from the Artist.