Friday 14 March 2014

GONE CUCKOO 8" x 10" by Sea Dean

H
IN DAYLIGHT
WITH FULL SPECTRUM BULB AT NIGHT
GONE CUCKOO

8" x 10"on Gallery Wrap Canvas
PAINTING BY SEA DEAN

To view my Gallery or purchase this painting please visit Daily Paintworks. Larger originals or prints may be available by contacting me.

I don't know what it is about nests, but they fascinate me. They are such a huge subject, not in size but in regards to discovery, as many small boy can atest to.

Birds of all sizes create nests and they are all works of art. Each species works with a different plan, passed from parent to chick over the ages. Some birds just pull a few sticks together and others construct palaces, renovate and decorate over many years, like any proud home owner.

Then there is the mystery of creation itself. Every creature has a drive to procreate, but how does that work with birds? Unlike humans, a chick gestates outside the body of the parent, protected by a hard smooth shell. That shell forms an egg which has a sensual, slightly uneven shape which is both simple and challenging to paint. I could go on observing forever, but instead, I will continue to explore this fascinating subject matter in paint. 

I started painting GONE CUCKOO in 2012, but I was interrupted and today I felt drawn to finish. That makes this a rare collector item which is mentioned in my 2012 catalog, yet has a 2014 signature. The very last strokes I made here were the young, sprouting leaves around the nest which indicate new life: I think these little brush strokes complete the painting perfectly.


Cat # 12072 Gone Cuckoo

2 comments:

I love to hear your views and connect on a personal level so feel free to say hi.

All work by Sea Dean protected by International Copyright - No printing, copying, electronic transfer or any form of duplication allowed without written permission from the Artist.