Thursday 4 September 2014

SAFE HARBOUR - DAY FIVE

SAFE HARBOUR

by Sea Dean
6" x 6" Acid and Lignin free Canvas Card

To view my online Gallery of originals please visit Daily Paintworks
Shop for Limited Edition ACEO here
More from my fellow intrepid and brave artists attempting the 30 paintings in 30 days here

The moment I saw this beautiful photo by my internet friend Bob Jones, I knew I had to paint it. Trouble is when? My busy life means I was painting this at 3am this morning. 

I'm in luck, yesterday, I finally found my halogen painting light which had disappeared during the move and how happy I am. This means I can paint at night with ease because the light I was using before, a strong daylight, was making the colours too intense and throwing off my values. Ahhhh!

This is quite an unusual colour scheme for me, but in the spirit of the 30 day challenge I'm KISSing my paintings. Nothing sloppy here, it means KEEP IS SIMPLE SEA so I chose a limited palette using "pushed" versions of the colour in the photograph. The edge of the boat is a more intense bright red but I couldn't get it to photograph well. The main colours are Cerulean, Sap Green, Dioxazine Purple, Raw Sienna, Naphthol and Cadmium Red.

As you see, I made the angle of the boat slightly more upright and cropped it for compositional purposes.

Thanks Bob.

Bob Jones © 2014

Cat # 14135 Safe Harbour - POSTED ON THE 30 IN 30 BLOG AS # 31

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your views and connect on a personal level so feel free to say hi.

All work by Sea Dean protected by International Copyright - No printing, copying, electronic transfer or any form of duplication allowed without written permission from the Artist.