Sunday 23 August 2015

FAMOUS ARTIST BIRTHDAY - ALEX COLVILLE


Alex Colville lived from 24 August 1920 – 16 July 2013. He was a Canadian painter. If you would like to know more about Colville and his painting, click here.

There are two things I notice about Colville's work in the selection above...

1. He had a great sense of natural light. 
2. He was a master of creating interest, whether is was with a stunning angle, masterful use of space, or shocking subject matter.

I particularly like the horse galloping towards the train which is representative of so many of my life experiences. The viewer knows that the horse can veer out of the way of the train, but will it? Is it too distracted by it's fear to notice the imminent crash? Nevertheless you can't take your eyes off the impending disaster. Somehow though, you know it will all be alright.

Studying his palette, I can see he used a limited selection with violet greys and yellow ochres. It is a colour scheme that is easy to live with and quite natural. 
SUMMER BOY I

SUMMER BOYS

My palette is nothing like Colville's, although I would love to experiment with his choices. The closest I can get to his subject matter in my own work are my Summer Boy paintings. The originals can be purchased with the Paypal buttons. All three are also available as limited edition ACEO.

SUMMER BOY I


SUMMER BOY II


SUMMER BOY III


View my online Gallery of large works and Limited Editions at ARTFINDER
View my online Gallery of small works at DAILY PAINTWORKS
Shop for Limited Edition ACEO and printed products here
Art Cards $5 and Art Postcards $3 here

SUMMER BOY II
SUMMER BOY III

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your views and connect on a personal level so feel free to say hi.

All work by Sea Dean protected by International Copyright - No printing, copying, electronic transfer or any form of duplication allowed without written permission from the Artist.