Saturday 5 December 2015

1000 th BLOG - FAMOUS ARTISTS BIRTHDAY - JEAN-FREDERIC BAZILLE


1000 THE BLOG

Well yes, I knew it was coming, I knew it was before the end of the year, but then it slipped my mind in the middle of the holiday rush. Nevertheless, this is my 1000th blog.

It's been quite a journey, and I'm pleased I took it. In a lot of ways this blog is what has kept me going during the last three years. It has kept me on track producing new work. It has made me stretch my limited knowledge of html, imaging etc. It has introduced me to new friends and it has been a blast.

Thank you to you, my loyal readers. Without you this blog would be just a diary. So, here's to another 1000!

JEAN-FREDERIC BAZILLE

Born Montpellier, France 6 December 1841, making him one of the older members of the French Impressionist movement. He studied under Charles Gleyre with Monet, Sisley and Renoir and his main influences were Manet and Courbet. Naturally he frequented the Cafe Guerbois where Manet held his gatherings for artists.

Bazille's name crops up often when studying the French Impressionists. It's not that he was one of the most highly appreciated artists of the group, but he seems like a very obliging member, often posing for his friends when they couldn't afford a model. In 1865 he famously modeled for Monet's "Le Dejeuner sur l'Herbe" and in 1870 for Fantin-Latour's "The Studio at Batignolles". Sadly he was killed in action 28 Nov 1870 during the Franco-Prussian war.

Because he died before the first impressionist exhibition, Bazille was not associated as an artist with the group. Up until his early death aged 28, he had been quite prolific, but probably due to his young age, he had not yet developed a congruent style. His paintings range from nudes to florals, still life's, landscapes and portraits. It's difficult to guess how he would have developed as a painter, but it seems that most of his later works involved figures. The languorous nude below shows a great deal of skill although still following the romantic traditions of Courbet.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your views and connect on a personal level so feel free to say hi.

All work by Sea Dean protected by International Copyright - No printing, copying, electronic transfer or any form of duplication allowed without written permission from the Artist.