Wednesday 30 December 2015

ALL TIME MOST POPULAR BLOGS - DANIEL DEARBORN DEMO AND PROCESS

ALL TIME 6th MOST POPULAR BLOG


Yesterday I went to a demo by one of my favourite artists, Daniel Dearborn. He has worked in many different media including pen and ink, watercolour and oil, but is currently having fun with acrylic. He loves painting plein air, and his work reflects a love of the outdoors and careful observation over many years. This collage was created from a demo I attended last year.

Artist Daniel Dearborn
This year started with a bang with Daniel creating 24 paintings 24" x 24" which will be in their first exhibit today at Lake Country Art Gallery Art Bazaar. At that time his style was evolving into a painterly style with swirling lines, the beginnings of which can be seen here in the sky.

Daniels style has now moved towards pointillism with bold strokes of colour straight from the tube. Here is a detail from a recent painting. Daniel's demos are friendly, relaxing and easy to follow. If you have the opportunity to attend one, or to visit his studio in Lake Country, BC, Canada, I highly recommend it.

Three things I took away with me this time are:-

1. Starting mid tone and painting the darks and lights towards the end
2. Painting the upper sections and working your way down.
3. Painting with a dirty brush (or at least not fanatically clean). I figure this adds just enough mid grey to dull the colour off the sometimes too vibrant acrylic brights.

Like me, Daniel will be holding open studio sessions where you can follow along as he paints and create your own work at the same time. He can be contacted through his Facebook page here (of course you must be a member of FB to access it).

Follow this blog to see more demo and process photos from current artists, free lessons, tips and tricks, art history and more great art.

I always like to include a painting of my own in a similar style to the artist I am introducing. My work is generally not like Daniels and I rarely paint as large which greatly affects the style of brushwork, However, this wave painting is as bold and colourful as Daniels work and can be purchased here.

LUMINOUS BREAKER by Sea Dean

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your views and connect on a personal level so feel free to say hi.

All work by Sea Dean protected by International Copyright - No printing, copying, electronic transfer or any form of duplication allowed without written permission from the Artist.