Friday 30 June 2017

Kitchen Reno - Easy Backsplash


I disliked the tiles on my backsplash the minute I saw them. Not wanting to go through the mess and expense of removing them, I've investigated several options and made my choice.

1. Tile paint - Very expensive and designed to paint over vintage bathroom tile, so that's overkill for a backsplash.
2. Faux pressed tin - I love this look and it's easy to apply, but wouldn't suit my faux barn wood cabinets.
3. Vinyl faux glass tiles - Good in theory, but research the brand first. Some are difficult to apply or peel soon after sticking in place.
4. Paint with chalk paint - Probably a good alternative. I suggest using a prep if you go this route.
5. Nuwallpaper - expensive but cheaper than stick on tiles and cool effects like dry stone or white brick. Self adhering so easy to remove, but prep tile well with TSP or 30 Seconds before applying. (This is true for most of these options).
6. Self adhering motifs - my choice for now.


This is a sheet of mexican style tile. It's fairly simple to apply. Rather than using it in one piece as intended, I added my own twist, detailed below.

1. Prep by washing the tiles with TSP or 30 Second, this removes any grease and stuck on food.
2. Measure each line of tile to make the height of all the motifs equal and mark with a pencil. Also mark the center of each tile.
3. Cut sheet into separate motifs. I chose to leave them in pairs, but singles would cover more area.
4. Lay out the design before sticking. Not too much of one color in one area. I moved the pieces around until I was happy with the spread.




5. Stick the motifs onto the tiles starting in the center, in my case above the sink and move to one side then the other, this way you won't slope on one side.
6.  Although I chose repositionable motifs, it is easier to peel the backing off a small area at the top of each section, fold the back down, stick the top in place and then finish peeling, rather than removing all the backing at once.

6. Smooth from top to bottom and center to sides to remove any bubbles. There shouldn't be many. Try not to stretch the vinyl when doing this because it will shift and bubble later.


7. Continue around the wall completing each row before continuing to the next.
8. Stand back and check that the top line of the motifs is straight and they are in line with each other.


9. Continue with second row and then third etc.
10. In some areas I cut the motif in half or quarters to make the layout work. See this in the corners and around the light switches.


11. Voila!

I'd love to hear about your DIY projects in comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your views and connect on a personal level so feel free to say hi.

All work by Sea Dean protected by International Copyright - No printing, copying, electronic transfer or any form of duplication allowed without written permission from the Artist.