Tuesday 19 December 2017

ADVENT GIFT - Togetherness

A glass artist blew the decanter and I painted it. A form of collaboration

One of the best ways to grow as an artist is to stretch your boundaries. This can take many forms from taking workshops to trying new techniques or mediums. Having the opportunity to share ideas is so cathartic.

Another approach is to collaborate with an artist you admire. I’m happy to announce a planned collaboration with a fresh young Artist for the Intergenerational Exhibition in 2018. For now the name is under wraps. But all will be revealed prior to the exhibition and I can barely contain myself I’m so thrilled.

When I conceived this post I was thinking about physically being in the same place and working together on a single artwork, but then I realized that I have communed with many artists over the years and very few works were produced in this way. To illustrate, this is a link to my “INSPIRED BY” annex at Daily Paintworks. Even my Paint a Masterpiece are a form of collaboration as we explore the work of a famous artist like Money or Van Gogh: You really get to see inside their process and find out more about the artist as a person.

INSPIRED BY


One of my favorite collaborations is to start a canvas and swap it with another artist for their unfinished art, then each artist continues to the conclusion. Another idea is to invite several artists to participate and each artist adds only a touch or two and passes it on to the next.


Here is a video of a collaboration I took part in. Lots of fun. The leading artist was going to finish it off and send a picture so I should contact her add it to another blog.

In the past I’ve participated in many collaborations, but it wasn’t until I investigated for this blog that I realized just how much. I’m sure its been a huge influence on my art.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your views and connect on a personal level so feel free to say hi.

All work by Sea Dean protected by International Copyright - No printing, copying, electronic transfer or any form of duplication allowed without written permission from the Artist.