Thursday 18 April 2019

The Simple Life


Since I first came across a Mark Rothko I’ve wanted to give this a go. Color Blocking was made famous by Piet Mondrian, whose distinctive squared paintings with black lines became fashionable patterns for clothing in the early 60’s. Later, American Mark Rothko started to produce large scale works exploring relationships between colors.

There are two color schemes that fascinate me, orange/shocking pink and ultra blue/lime. I hope to gave time to add the second as well.

Although Mark Rothkos work looks very simple, getting just the right colors and putting the paint on canvas with panache and without any distracting brushstrokes is quite a challenge. I now have a greater admiration for the master abstract technicians that have paved the way before us. THE SIMPLE LIFE is a tongue in cheek title for this challenging art work.  Mark Rothko favored the orientation at the top, but I think I prefer the one below. and yes, I did add a stripe of blue/red Pebeo iridescent paint for zing.


2 comments:

  1. These colors are always so happy aren't they? I prefer the top layout. Only because it feels more balanced to me. Bottom heavy. I am sure that is boring. I love what is going on in the orange. It reminds me of molten lava.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I’ve wired it portrait style, but if it comes home I will put it the other way.

      Delete

I love to hear your views and connect on a personal level so feel free to say hi.

All work by Sea Dean protected by International Copyright - No printing, copying, electronic transfer or any form of duplication allowed without written permission from the Artist.