Tuesday 10 September 2019

ART LOVER stars at Artwalk

So many times artists are asked to donate work and services without any compensation or recognition and I think this is wrong. It devalues what we do. We should at least get compensated for our time and supplies. The only way this will change is if we demand it. Dont complain to those who are powerless, talk to the people in charge. They can get away with it because we are lone operators and dont speak up. The more we value ourselves, the more value others will give to our work.

In Canada, in rare cases, artists are paid to display their work. The government program is called CARFAC and payments can be large, of course there’s lots of red tape. However, some institutions like universities support us to a lesser degree with honorariums. There is a great sense of self worth for the artist who receives one of these payments. I’ve been lucky enough to get a few and I’m very grateful.

Quite a few months ago I was contacted by a member of the committee for a huge local art exhibition and offered an honorarium for displaying my 3D creation ART LOVER. The exhibition is the largest in BC outside the major cities, so this was quite a feather in my cap. Of course I said yes.


I delivered ART LOVER last Friday night and picked her up on Sunday night. She was given pride of place at the entrance to one of the main halls. I didn’t attend due to caring for my mother, but apparently the display was very well received.

To all those who pay us our due, thank you for respecting artists and our work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your views and connect on a personal level so feel free to say hi.

All work by Sea Dean protected by International Copyright - No printing, copying, electronic transfer or any form of duplication allowed without written permission from the Artist.